BOV-009: Participation in Board of Visitors Meetings by Electronic Means of Communication in the Event of Emergency or Personal Matter or Certain DisabilitiesDate: 09/12/2014 Status: Final
Virginia Code § 2.2-3708.1 was amended effective July 1, 2014 to require the adoption of written policies by public bodies allowing for and governing participation of their members in meetings by electronic means of communication.
There are no terms that require definition.
WHEREAS, Virginia Code § 2.2-3708.1 specifies the requirements for the remote participation in meetings by members of public bodies in event of emergency or personal matter, or certain disabilities; and
WHEREAS, the General Assembly amended Virginia Code § 2.2-3708.1, effective July 1, 2014, to require the adoption of written policies by public bodies allowing for and governing participation of its members in meetings by the means of electronic communication;
RESOLVED, the “Policy for Participation in Board of Visitors Meetings by Electronic Means of Communication in the Event of Emergency or Personal Matter or Certain Disabilities” is adopted as follows:
POLICY FOR PARTICIPATION IN BOARD OF VISITORS MEETINGS BY ELECTRONIC MEANS OF COMMUNICATION
IN THE EVENT OF EMERGENCY OR PERSONAL MATTER OR CERTAIN DISABILITIES
A. A member of the Board of Visitors may participate in a meeting through electronic means of communication from a remote location that is not open to the public only as follows and subject to the requirements of subsection B:
On or before the day of a meeting, a member notifies the Rector that he or she is unable to attend the meeting due to an emergency or personal matter, and identifies with specificity the nature of the emergency or personal matter, and the Rector approves the request to participate in the meeting from a remote location.
- The Board of Visitors is to record in its minutes the specific nature of the emergency or personal matter and the remote location from which the member participated. If a member's participation from a remote location is disapproved by the Rector because such participation would violate subsection B of this policy, disapproval shall be recorded in the minutes with specificity.
- Such remote participation by the member shall be limited each calendar year to two meetings or 25 percent of the meetings of the public body, whichever is fewer.
- A member notifies the Rector that he or she is unable to attend a meeting due to a temporary or permanent disability or other medical condition that prevents the member's physical attendance.
- The Board of Visitors is to record this fact and the remote location from which the member participated in its minutes.
- Participation by a member of the Board of Visitors under subsection A shall be authorized only under the following conditions:
A quorum of the Board of Visitors is physically assembled at the primary or central meeting location; and
- The Board of Visitors has made arrangements for the voice of the remote participant to be heard by all persons at the primary or central meeting location.
- This policy shall be applied strictly and uniformly, without exception, to the entire membership and without regard to the identity of the member requesting remote participation or the matters that will be considered or voted on at the meeting.
Procedures are outlined within the policy.