FIN-011: Coordination and Approval of Telephone Services

Date: 11/26/2004 Status: Final
Last Revised: 05/05/2014
Policy Type: University
Oversight Executive: Chief Information Officer
Applies To: University faculty and staff.
Reason for Policy:

To describe the general guidelines for obtaining and using telephone services.

Definition of Terms in Statement:
  • Terms:

    There are no terms that require definition.

Policy Statement:

The Supervisor of Telephony and Video Services coordinates and approves telephone systems within the University. This responsibility extends to reviewing departmental needs, evaluating equipment proposed to meet those needs and providing appropriate services, given budgetary limitations. In addition, the Manager of ITC Communication Services establishes rates for telephone equipment and services and bills all departments for telephone equipment and services to ensure total recovery of system costs and operating expenses.

  1. Telephone Lines:

    All departments are required to use telephone lines that are provided via the University’s owned telephone system unless extraordinary circumstances exist whereby it would be infeasible for ITC Communication Services to offer and/or support such service. Determination of whether a department qualifies for an exception will be made by ITC Communication Services and not by the department itself.

  2. Procurement of Telephone Instruments:

    Digital telephones, including Rolmphones, Optisets, Optipoints, etc., that are attached to ITC Communication Services digital lines must be leased from ITC Communication Services. Department provided digital telephones may not be attached to our lines.

    ITC Communication Services policies allow departments to attach their own analog telephone equipment (including analog telephones, fax machines, and modems) to ITC Communication Services analog lines.

    Any department procuring instruments from an external source will be responsible for maintenance of those telephones. They will not be maintained by the University’s telephone company (Siemens). The cost to diagnose and/or correct any service problems within the University’s telephone system caused by the privately-purchased equipment will be borne by the responsible department.

  3. Theft/Damage:

    Each department is responsible for its Siemens telephone instruments and related equipment. Should any of the equipment need to be repaired as a result of damage, the department will be billed for the cost of the repairs. If damage to the equipment is so extensive as to warrant replacement, the department will be billed for the purchase price of the original equipment.

    Departments will be billed for the purchase price of telephone equipment stolen from their premises, regardless of whether the equipment is replaced. Theft of telephones or related equipment should be reported immediately to the University Police. Requests to have stolen equipment replaced must be submitted on on a Communication Service Request (CSR).

  4. Budget Certification:

    Availability of full annualized funding must be provided by the requestor before changes involving additional charges can be implemented. This requires a PTAO for one-time charges and a PTAO for additional monthly charges.

  5. Charge for Basic Services:

    Basic telephone service (local telephone service and related installation costs) will be charged against non-sponsored program operating budgets no later than August for the annual cost of the basic service in use in departments and activities on the preceding June 30. The annual cost of later changes in basic service will be charged in the month such changes are confirmed by ITC Communication Services.

    If the account to be charged for basic telephone service changes during the fiscal year, the department must submit that change on the appropriate Communication Service Request.

    In July, sponsored program grants and contracts will be billed for the monthly cost of the basic service in use on the preceding June 30 and will be billed monthly thereafter. Basic telephone service as a direct cost to Sponsored Programs may be charged to grants and contracts only if all of the following conditions are met:

    • The basic service required in connection with the grant is clearly above normal departmental telephone requirements and is necessary for the performance of the project. A statement to this effect must be included on the request.
    • The grant specifically provides a line item budget for the cost of the additional service.
    • The dean or department head concurs in the need for added service.
    • The department must specifically identify the service (in terms of the locations, instruments and use of the lines) for exclusive use in the performance of the grant or contract.

    This condition usually will exist only with the larger programs requiring additional and/or separate offices or laboratories.

  6. Additional Charges:

    Only Siemens technicians are authorized to relocate telephones. University departments that move telephones will be charged Siemens’ prevailing hourly rate for correcting the resulting inventory errors. An accurate inventory is critical for the proper operation of the E-911 emergency location system.

    Departments not submitting a Communication Service Request in a timely manner, thereby giving either Siemens or CenturyLink insufficient time to complete the requested work, may be required to pay overtime rates to complete the CSR by the due date.

    Departments canceling Communication Service Requests once a technician has been dispatched will be charged for one hour of the technician’s time at Siemens’ prevailing hourly rate.

    The costs for repairing customer-caused service problems will be billed to the responsible department.

    All work carried out by CenturyLink will be charged to a special bill number. CenturyLink will assess a one-time processing fee for establishing each new special bill.

  7. E911 - Tax Exemption:

    As an agency of the Commonwealth, the University of Virginia is exempt from both excise taxes and E911 service charges that may be assessed by CenturyLink or other telephone companies. Departments should review bills for services provided by non-University sources to ensure that these charges have not been incorporated into either monthly or one-time fees. If it is determined that these costs have been applied, the department should contact the service provider to have the charges removed.

  8. Requests for Toll Free Numbers:

    Requests for inbound toll free numbers must be submitted in writing on a Communication Service Request, which will be forwarded to the service provider for completion.

  9. Cellular Telephones and Wireless Services:

    New cellular telephone and wireless services should be ordered directly from UVa-contracted carriers according to Cellular Phone Service procedures. Existing services previously ordered through VITA will continue and billing for those services will remain unchanged.

    Using a University-funded cellular telephone to place or receive personal (i.e., not job-related) calls is not permitted; however occasional incidental personal use is permitted if such use does not:

    • interfere with the user’s productivity or work performance, or with any other employee’s productivity or work performance; or
    • cause the University to incur additional cost; or
    • adversely affect the efficient operation of the cellular system; or
    • violate any provision of this policy, any supplemental policy adopted by the agency supplying telephone services, or any other policy, regulation, law or guideline as set forth by local, State or Federal law.
  10. Off-Grounds Installation of University Telephones:

    There may be circumstances that warrant installation of a University line and telephone at an employee’s residence or other off-Grounds work site. Requests for such installations, with supporting justification, must be submitted in writing to the Manager of ITC Communication Services for review.

  11. Obscene, Harassing, Abusive Calls:

    Anyone receiving obscene, harassing, or abusive calls should immediately report the incident to the Police by dialing 9 + 911.

  1. Requests for CenturyLink Service:
    Departments requesting new CenturyLink telephone service or changes to existing service must submit a Telephone Service Request Form CC37. All requests for non-University telephone lines, full or semi-public pay stations, dedicated data circuits to locations outside the University (but within the Charlottesville area), and listings for University numbers appearing in the CenturyLink directory must be submitted on this form even if payment for requested services is to be remitted from a non-University funding source.

    Procedure 7-30, "Preparation of Telephone Service Request- CenturyLink"

  2. Requests for Other Services, Including Services Outside Charlottesville:
    Departments requiring other services, including those at locations outside the Charlottesville area, must submit their requests in writing to ITC Communication Services.
Related Information:

Communication Services

Major Category: Finance and Business Operations
Next Scheduled Review: 04/03/2021
Approved by, Date: Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, 11/26/2004
Revision History: Edited Procedures 4/3/18; Updated 5/5/14, 5/19/11.
Supersedes (previous policy):
VII.O.1, Telephone Services