PRM-013: Posting on the HooView Electronic Network in Newcomb Hall
Provides appropriate guidelines by which to advertise University events and announcements through the HooView electronic display screens located in Newcomb Hall.
A web-based content submission interface that provides the platform for content uploading, queuing, review, and approval prior to the content being added to a playlist (https://virginia.presence.io/form/hooview-submission-form).
A network of video display screens mounted in buildings on the University of Virginia Grounds which are connected to a cloud-based Content Management System (Visix hosted) maintained by Information Technology Services.
A collection of electronic content stored on the vendor-hosted content management system in a format to be displayed on video display screens connected to the HooView network.
A general term that refers to all Contracted Independent Organizations (CIOs), Fraternal Organizations (FOs), Special Status Organizations, and Agency groups.
The University is committed to promoting communication among students, faculty, and staff. HooView is a network-based display system that will allow students, faculty, and staff to create and display digital messages across any network-enabled screen on the Grounds. By offering access to the HooView network pursuant to this policy, the University does not intend and shall not be deemed to have opened the network as a public forum. The following guidelines describe the appropriate manner for posting information and messages on the HooView electronic display screens in Newcomb Hall.
Policies and procedures governing the display of messages on screens outside Newcomb Hall are determined by the individual units that manage the buildings where the screens are located (e.g., School of Engineering Dean’s Office for display of messages in Thornton Hall).
All display screens connected to the HooView network will receive emergency messages in accordance with University policy IRM-013: Issuance of an Emergency Notification.
Digital messaging via HooView in Newcomb Hall is permitted under the following conditions:
- Messages shall be used to promote services, events, announcements, meetings, programs, etc., sponsored by student organizations, academic departments, or administrative units.
- Messages are limited to one per event, promotion, or activity.
- Messages shall clearly and prominently indicate the name of the sponsoring student organization, academic department, or administrative unit.
- All users of the system are responsible for the content of their submissions.
- Each playlist available for the submission of content will have a maximum capacity of messages; student organizations shall receive priority message placement on these lists.
Appropriate Types of Messages for display on HooView in Newcomb Hall:
- Announcements of services, events, meetings, or programs occurring on-Grounds or off-Grounds that are sponsored by student organizations, academic departments, or administrative units.
- Emergency messages from the University. The University reserves the right to use the messaging network exclusively for emergency notification and communication as events or situations require.
Inappropriate Types of Messages for display on HooView in Newcomb Hall:
- Personal messages, including but not limited to: personal items for sale, personal parties and private events.
- Messages containing obscene images and/or profane language.
- Political campaigning (both for University office and for local, state or national office).
- Commercial uses (consistent with University policy on commercial use/solicitation).
- Any other uses that are inconsistent with University policies or local, state, or federal law.
Messages that do not comply with these regulations will not be approved for display by Student Affairs staff. All appeals and protests regarding the distribution of messages on the Newcomb Hall playlists should be sent to HooView@virginia.edu within 24 hours of receiving notification that the submitted message has been rejected. All appeals will be given priority attention and normally will be reviewed and decided no later than three business days after receipt by Student Affairs.
Compliance with Policy:
Failure to comply with the requirements of this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination or expulsion in accordance with relevant University policies.
Questions about this policy should be directed to Student Affairs.
Student Affairs staff is the approving authority and clearinghouse for student organization use of the HooView display system to facilitate a consistent and timely review based on the criteria detailed in the policy statement.
For all student organizations, submit:
Messages through the Hoos Involved platform for approval at least five business days prior to desired date of inclusion on the HooView display system in Newcomb Hall.
- Messages may generally be posted up to three weeks prior to the event.
- Special requests for messages containing video and sound may delay the posting of messages and are subject to system capabilities.
Messages with a clear stop-time or end-date; open-ended or recurring/continuous messages are not permitted.
Changes to a message already posted on the display system using https://virginia.presence.io/form/hooview-submission-form.
Student Affairs staff reserve the right to edit message submissions, on content-neutral grounds, for accuracy and compliance with University policies and local, state, and federal laws.
Student Affairs staff will remove messages from playlists after the conclusion of the events/activities advertised in messages.