PROV-020: Minor Children, Family Members or Other Individuals Accompanying Education Abroad Program StaffDate: 07/11/2012 Status: Final
- Expenses Incurred During Education Abroad
- Terms for Accompanying Family Members (including minor children) or Other Individuals
The University seeks to promote an environment that is safe and conducive to learning during the education abroad experience. This policy delineates the role of children, family members, and other individuals accompanying program staff on education abroad programs and the financial conditions under which the University will cover or reimburse associated expenses.
Education Abroad Program:
(1) A University-sponsored academic program taught abroad, enrolling both University of Virginia and non-University of Virginia students; or (2) Education that occurs outside of the participant’s home country and results in progress towards an academic degree at a student’s home institution, including academic research.1
1Based on The Forum on Education Abroad Glossary.
Includes spouse, partner, children, other dependent adults, and/or other relatives.
Children under the age of 18.
University faculty and staff who have an official role as agents of the University with Education Abroad Programs, including directors, instructors, assistants, Teaching Assistants (TAs), and approved volunteers.
The University of Virginia permits, under certain circumstances, minor children, family members, and other individuals to accompany Program Staff abroad. However, the University of Virginia is not responsible for minor children, family members, or other individuals who accompany Program Staff.
Family Member 18 years of age and over and Other Individuals:
Family members 18 years of age and over and other individuals (e.g., nanny, approved volunteer, etc.) may accompany Program Staff on education abroad programs and must abide by the terms set forth in this policy (see Section 2).
Minor children of Program Staff and students may participate in and/or travel with education abroad programs if granted approval by the Education Abroad Risk Management Committee (see Procedure 2 below).
If approval is granted by the Education Abroad Risk Management Committee, then the minor child(ren) accompanying the Education Abroad Program must be supervised at all times by an adult who is not a member of the Program Staff or a participant in the Education Abroad Program. All travel and living expenses incurred in support of, or associated with, minor children will be the responsibility of the parent or guardian.
Expenses Incurred during Education Abroad:
The University will cover reasonable and necessary expenses incurred by the Education Abroad Program Staff consistent with applicable procurement regulations. Typically, the University will not cover expenses of family members or other individuals accompanying the Program Staff.
Expenses may be covered when and if an individual is acting as an approved volunteer. Examples of volunteer service include, but are not limited to, chaperoning, advising, acting on behalf of the student (e.g., negotiations with local authorities, landlord, etc.). Specific volunteer activities are defined on an individual basis through contact with the International Studies Office.
Terms for Accompanying Family Members (including minor children) or Other Individuals:
Those family members or other individuals accompanying Program Staff on an education abroad program must adhere to the following terms:
- Travel Arrangements: Family members are responsible for their own travel arrangements, including all transportation, passports, visas, travel insurance, etc.
- Accommodations: Family members may share accommodations with the Program Staff. However, UVA/the program will only cover the cost of the individual staff person, per State Department/Procurement determined amounts, regardless of how many accompanying family members share the accommodation. Cost incurred on behalf of additional family members is the financial responsibility of the individual staff person.
- Academic Activities: Family members are restricted from participating in academic activities of the Education Abroad Program such as classes or other academic sessions. Family members eligible for admission into the program must apply through the regular application process and pay appropriate tuition and fees.
- Excursions/Meals: Family members can participate in cultural and extra-curricular activities. If taking part in an excursion or meal, additional family members must cover all per-person expenses by either paying their costs separately or by reimbursing the University. At no time will additional transportation be added to accommodate family members, e.g., excursion buses or vans.
- Additional Restrictions: Other restrictions or conditions may be instituted in individual cases based on concerns related to health, safety, or security as determined by the Education Abroad Risk Management Committee.
- A request for approval for minor children to accompany the Education Abroad Program to the Education Abroad Risk Management Committee;
- The “Documentation for Family Members and Other Individuals Accompanying Education Abroad Program:” and
- Requests for specific individuals to act as volunteers, with necessary documentation to support the request.
A family member (including a minor child) or other individual is responsible for:
- Securing emergency assistance and overseas insurance coverage; and
- Abiding by the terms set forth in this policy.
- For Family Members of Other Individuals Accompanying Program Staff on Education Abroad:
Program Staff member complete and submit the “Documentation for Family Members and Other Individuals Accompanying Education Abroad Program” indicating those Family Members or other individuals who will be accompanying the Program Staff member abroad. All forms must be signed by the Program Staff member and Family Member or other individual acknowledging the aforementioned terms, responsibilities, and financial implications.
- For Minor Children to Accompany Program Staff or Students on Education Abroad:
Submit a request to the Education Abroad Risk Management Committee requesting approval for the minor child to accompany the Education Abroad Program with the Program Staff member or student participant.