SEC-033: Road and Street Closings on University Grounds for Special Events and Construction/Utility Work
Academic Division and the Medical Center.
The University strives to provide a safe and secure environment for the community members. Toward that end, the University is committed to operational consistency when a road(s) closing is warranted due to a special event or construction/utility work.
The areas where administrative functions, teaching, and research facilities of the University that are used by members of the University community are located as well as athletic and recreational facilities.
The University Police Department (UPD) has primary responsibility for authorizing road closings on University Grounds associated with special events (e.g., races, building dedications, ceremonies, etc.). Notice of events that may require road closings must be submitted 30 days prior to the date of the event. UPD is responsible for coordinating road closings associated with special events on University Grounds with the following departments:
- Community Partnerships
- Student Affairs
- Department of Athletics
- Emergency Management (Academic Division)
- Emergency Management (Medical Center)
- Facilities Management
- Office of Major Events
- Parking and Transportation
- Other offices as deemed appropriate.
Facilities Management is responsible for road closings associated with construction and utility work on Grounds.
Once approved, those within the University community impacted by any road closing will be notified in a timely manner.
For all non-emergency construction and utility projects, the Medical Center shall have two weeks advance notice of planned road closures occurring in the Health System “zone.” This zone includes, but is not limited to: Lane Road, Lee Street, Brandon Avenue, Monroe Lane, 11th Street, Crispell Drive, Jeannette Lancaster Way, Hospital Drive and Jefferson Park Avenue.
Compliance with Policy:
Failure to comply with the requirements of this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination or expulsion in accordance with relevant University policies.
The procedure applies to any group or individual including any University department, University-Associated Organizations, contracted independent organization (CIO), or outside entity requesting street(s)/road(s) closings associated with special events on University Grounds.
- Complete the Special Event Application and Road Closing Request Form. For the:
- Description of Event and Purpose: Provide a brief description of the event including an explanation for the road(s) closing.
- List Streets/Roads Proposed to be Closed: Specify the street(s)/road(s) requested to be closed. Specify the location on the street(s)/road(s) to be barricaded. Identify the time period for the street(s)/road(s) closing and indicate whether any traffic will be allowed during that period (e.g., roads may be open to traffic intermittently during a race).