Policy Directory by Glossary Terms

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z View All

Drawing in and exhaling an aerosol, commonly called vapor; the act of using an electronic cigarette.


Any entity that supplies goods or services.

A document that allows a nonimmigrant alien from a foreign country to travel to a U.S. port-of entry, and request permission of the U.S. immigration inspector to enter the U.S. Issuance of a visa does not guarantee entry to the U.S. The CBP Officer at the port-of-entry determines whether the nonimmigrant alien can be admitted and decides how long the nonimmigrant alien may stay for any particular visit.
B-1 and B-2 Visas:
The most common nonimmigrant visa also known as the “visa for temporary visitors for business or pleasure” is used for persons desiring to enter the U. S. temporarily for Business (B-1) or for pleasure, tourism or medical treatment (B-2). Business reasons include “usual academic activity or activities” such as lecturing; attending meetings; and sharing knowledge, experience, or skills in master classes, readings, and performances.
J-1 Visa:
Nonimmigrant visa issued by the U.S. to exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange, especially to obtain medical, scientific, or educational training within the U.S. J-1 visitors may remain in the U.S. until the end of their exchange program, as specified on form DS-2019.
Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

Enables citizens of 36 participating countries meeting the Visa Waiver Program requirements to travel to the U. S. for business or tourism (visitor [B] visa purposes only) for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. Nonimmigrant alien visitors cannot extend their stay.

Visiting Appointment

An appointment at another institution or organization for a short term, usually one year or less, during which time the faculty member is on leave from the University.

Visiting Faculty

Visiting faculty visit the University for a short term, usually one year or less, while on leave from another institution of higher education. During their appointment at the University, they hold professorial rank commensurate with the rank they hold at their home institution. Visiting faculty may serve with or without pay.

Visiting Faculty and Staff

An individual working on a temporary basis at the University and not receiving compensation from the University's academic division.  (Examples of visiting faculty and staff include, but are not limited to: visiting research assistants, visiting scholars and ROTC.)

Visiting Graduate Student

A non-degree-seeking student who is enrolled in a graduate degree-granting program at another institution.

Visiting Scholar

Visiting scholars are appointed, often for short terms, so that they may participate in scholarly or research activities in a sponsoring department or school. They serve without pay except with the written approval of the executive vice president and provost. They do not participate formally in instruction. Individuals who participate formally in instruction should be appointed as visiting faculty, if appropriate, or as lecturers.

Visiting Student

A non-degree-seeking student who is enrolled in a degree-granting program at another institution.

Visual Line of Sight

The ability of the Remote Pilot in Command to see the aircraft at all times when in flight using the unaided eye with sufficient clarity to determine the aircraft’s location, attitude, altitude, and direction of flight, and to avoid other aircraft or hazards.

Visual Observer

A person who has been designated to assist the Remote Pilot in Command in complying with his or her See and Avoid duties and maintain a lookout for other aircraft or hazards that may affect the safety of flight.


An individual permitted under specific conditions to perform activities on behalf of the University, but who is not an employee of the University of Virginia and, therefore, is not generally entitled to the benefits granted to employees.


VWB (Visa Waiver for Business) and VWT (Visa Waiver for Tourism) travelers are required to have a valid authorization through the Electronic System for Travel (ESTA) prior to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry.