Policy Directory by Glossary Terms

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z View All
Name Description
Tag Out

Posting a prominent warning tag with durable string onto the energy isolation device and/or lock out device of the piece of equipment, machinery, or system being controlled. This tag documents the Authorized Person taking the equipment out of operation and the date. It is a warning to others that the equipment cannot be put back into operation until the tag and lock have been removed by the Authorized Person.

Tangible Personal Property

Property, other than real property, whose value is derived from its physical existence. Tangible personal property includes, but is not limited to, artwork, antiques, automobiles, books, maps, archival material, technology hardware, furnishings, appliances, office and other equipment and personal items.

Tangible Personal Property1

Property, other than real property, which may be seen, weighed, measured, felt, or touched, or is in any other manner perceptible to the senses. Under Virginia law, the term "tangible personal property" does not include stocks, bonds, notes, insurance, or other obligations or securities (as defined in VA Code § 58.1-602).

Tax Identification Number

The number used to identify the University of Virginia for Federal and State tax matters. The Tax Identification Number may also be referred to as the Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). 

Tax–Exempt Debt (Bonds) Issued by the University

Debt issued and managed (1) by the University; or (2) by a State authority at the request of the University and for which the University pays its pro-rata share of the debt service.

Tax–Exempt Debt Compliance (TEDC) Information Dashboard

A data repository and reporting tool developed in-house for Tax Exempt Debt Compliance to assist with post-issuance debt compliance requirements.

Technology Control Plan (TCP)

A document that sets forth the specific physical, electronic, and procedural controls that will be taken to prevent unauthorized access to or export of controlled technology. (A template TCP is available on the forms page of the Office of Export Controls website.)


A structure, enclosure, or shelter, with or without side-walls or drops, constructed of fabric or pliable material supported by any manner except by air or the contents that it protects.

Tenure or "Without Term" Election

An appointment to the faculty of indefinite duration.


There are no terms that require definition.

Terms Related to Financial Aid


  • Direct Aid: Any aid provided directly to a student, such as a stipend.

  • Indirect Aid: Any aid provided on a student’s behalf to the University or another third party, including tuition, fees, and health insurance subsidies.

  • Fellowship/Scholarship: Unearned aid (no work or repayment requirement) awarded to students. Fellowships and scholarships may consist of direct and indirect forms of aid.

  • Stipend: An amount given directly to a student to support the pursuit of study or training. Students receiving a stipend are under no obligation to perform services as a condition of receiving the funds. Such support typically is provided over a period of time, e.g., ten monthly deposits of $500 each.

  • Tuition Remission: The in-state tuition and all required fees paid on behalf of a student serving in a qualified graduate assistantship. Tuition remission pays only the in-state portion of an out-of-state student’s tuition charges, but pays all required fees, including the comprehensive fee, the University activity fee, the school activity fee, and, where applicable, the international student fee.

  • Tuition Adjustment: The amount of tuition above in-state tuition paid on behalf of an out-of-state student serving in a qualified graduate assistantship. An out-of-state student who serves in a qualified graduate assistantship receives tuition remission (in-state tuition and all required fees) and may receive tuition adjustment (difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition; all required fees are covered as part of tuition remission).


A formal, public statement testifying to the qualifications of a third-party organization or the efficacy of the organization’s products, goods, services, views, or beliefs.

Text Messages

Brief, direct notifications received on a cellular phone or similar text-communication handheld device.

Third Party

An organization or individual or external program from outside of the University that uses University facilities to conduct a covered program pursuant to an approved contract or other use agreement with a sponsoring University academic or administrative unit. For example, athletic camp or academic camp.

Third Party Cost Sharing

Occurs when commitments or contributions are offered from an entity external to UVa which may be in the form of cash or in-kind contributions, such as compensation, materials, equipment, etc.

Threat Assessment Team (TAT)

The TAT is the team required by Virginia Code §23.1-805 to implement the University’s assessment, intervention, and action protocol.

Timely Warning

An alert triggered when the University determines that a crime which has already been committed but presents a serious or continuous threat (e.g., a homicide, sex offense or robbery) must be reported to the campus community.

Title IX Coordinator

The person charged with monitoring the University’s compliance with Title IX and the University’s Policy on Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Other Forms of Interpersonal Violence.

Title IX Grievance Process

The University’s Grievance Process for Investigating and Resolving Reports of Title IX Prohibited Conduct setting forth the procedures for investigating and resolving reports of alleged Title IX Prohibited Conduct under the Policy.

Title IX Prohibited Conduct

All of the conduct as defined by the Department of Education Title IX regulations and defined in the Policy on Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Other Forms of Interpersonal Violence as “Title IX Prohibited Conduct” in the University’s Policy on Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Other Forms of Interpersonal Violence, which includes: (1) Quid Pro Quo Harassment (by an employee); (2) Sexual Harassment; (3) Sexual Assault; (4) Dating Violence; (5) Domestic Violence; and (6) Stalking.

To Provide

(Concerning transmitting a document) to place in the mail or to deliver.

Total Professional Effort

All activities performed by a faculty or staff member regardless of how (or whether) the individual receives compensation. All such activities are comprised of both inclusions and exclusions in defining 100% ‘University effort.’ [Reference Appendix A of this policy for further details.]

Trade or Business

Any activity carried on by a Non-Governmental Person other than an individual acting as a member of the general public.


Any word, name, symbol, device, or any combination thereof (including colors, logos, or trade dress) used by the University to designate the University’s goods and to distinguish them from those manufactured or sold by others.

Train the Trainer (TtT)

The designated department trainer who has the knowledge, classroom training certification, and experience to train others on how to safely operate the powered industrial truck (PIT) used in the department. The TtT oversees day-to-day safe operations, investigates incidents that may occur with the department’s PIT, and resolves how to prevent any future reoccurrence.

Transfer of Equipment Assets

Refers to the permanent release of equipment assets from one institution to another. This usually occurs when a Principal Investigator (PI) leaves employment at one institution to work at another institution and continue their research. This may also include the transference of active awards with the PI and the equipment purchased on such awards.

Travel Abroad Health and Emergency Assistance Insurance

Insurance that provides coverage for health care costs incurred overseas and that provides: (1) medical evacuation, (2) security evacuation, (3) repatriation of remains, and (4) emergency assistance. The required aggregate minimum coverage is determined by the Office of Property & Liability Risk Management, the Risk Management Committee for Education Abroad, and the Office of University Counsel.

Travel Registry

A confidential and secure database for maintaining key travel information about students traveling for University-related purposes. The travel registry is the official and authoritative source of traveler information that forms the basis for the University’s emergency response protocols and communications strategy (e.g., advisories, alerts, emergency messages, evacuation notices) when responding to an emergency or critical incident abroad. The International Studies Office is responsible for the overall management of the travel registry, though other offices have input and access to the registry for rapid response purposes.

Trespass Warning

A written notice issued by the University of Virginia Police Department, the UVA Medical Center, the Division of Student Affairs, or Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights that warns a person that they are not permitted to enter or remain upon the University or UVA Medical Center property described in the Trespass Warning.

Types of Affiliation


Doctoral Completion: Advanced doctoral students who have fulfilled all residency and credit requirements for their degree, do not require access to University resources; (including labs) or student services, and are completing or defending their dissertation.

External Internship/Study: Students who are participating in an approved professional internship or educational program outside the University.

Degree Conferral in Absentia: Students who are not taking new courses or pursuing research, but who need to be affiliated at the University for certain administrative reasons before receiving their degree, including finishing incompletes, paying an outstanding University financial obligation, or receiving official transcripts of approved transfer credit.

Types of Enrollment


Certificate-Seeking: A student who is enrolled in a credit or non-credit certificate program at the University.

Degree-Seeking: A student enrolled in any undergraduate or graduate degree-granting program at the University. Graduate degree-seeking students include those students enrolled in one of the University’s two professional schools (Law, Medicine).

Full-Time: A student who is enrolled for at least twelve (12) credits in a fall or spring term, six (6) credits in summer term, three (3) credits in January term, or a student who is enrolled in the School of Medicine and has been identified by the school as full-time (Medicine does not award credit for its courses).

Part-Time: A student who is enrolled at half-time or less than half-time. Students enrolled for three-quarter time must be approved for a reduced course load by their dean’s office and pay full-time tuition. References in this policy to part-time enrollment do not include three-quarter time enrollment.

Non-Degree-Seeking: A student who has received permission to enroll and is registered for coursework at the University but is not enrolled in one of the University’s degree-granting programs.

Research: A student who is enrolled for graduate research credits only. Research graduate students may be degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking.

Visiting: A non-degree-seeking student who is enrolled in a degree-granting program at another institution.